8.11.11

the national


It's been a long time since I really connected with a band, but it was love at first sound with The National. For me The National is, as this reviewer so eloquently puts it, "... a band for life – for love and loss, euphoric highs and exhausting lows. For everything, always." I first heard of The National when I was living in Ireland and the first song I listened to was this one, at about 2am at a house party on the Kildysart Road. I've been hooked ever since. My Irish friend thinks they are the "bee's knees", and I have to agree. Just listen to this song; it will change your life.

Matt Berninger's deep, mournful voice reverberates in your soul. The lyrics of every song are achingly heartfelt and honest, yet it feels like there's some wry humour behind the seriousness. Each of their albums is excellent. Boxer was my favourite, but after spending some time with High Violet it's moved into first place. I feel like the band really comes together musically in this album. The songs have more layers and the sound is more sophisticated. Listen to Terrible Love, Bloodbuzz Ohio and Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks and you'll see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment